Contributed by Jason Knapfel, a senior producer for DietsInReview.com, which provides the tools and information needed to shape a healthier you.
While the low-carb craze has settled a bit in recent years, we still tend to demonize them indiscriminately.
"Carb" should not be a four-letter word in your vocabulary. While simple carbs are the ones that should be minimized, there are plenty of carbs that should be eaten on a regular basis.
Here are 10 carb-packed foods that you should enjoy as part of a healthy diet:
1. 100% whole-wheat bread. Yes, bread. If you want to make your sandwiches healthier, drop the white bread and pick up some whole wheat bread. Make sure it says "whole grain."
2. Oatmeal. This is both a healthy breakfast and snack choice. It's also delicious and filling. You get lots of fiber and a lot of nutritional bang for your buck!
3. Fruits. If you want to satisfy your sweet tooth, try to do it with fruit. Fresh, frozen or canned, stock up on a variety of fruit.
4. Whole-grain pasta. Pasta isn't evil. A little moderate whole-grain pasta gives you more fiber and it's actually got more texture and flavor to it.
5. Brown rice. Same story with rice. Opt for brown instead of white and there's no reason to avoid it.
6. Barley. If you like soup, add a little barley to make it more filling.
7. Quinoa. This healthy whole grain is still not well known in the U.S., but it's gaining in popularity as more and more people learn about this ultra tasty and super healthy food. Not only is it a good source of fiber, iron and magnesium, but it's also a complete protein! It has a similar consistency to couscous.
8. Low-fat dairy. If you stick with skim milk (or even 1%), you're enjoying a nice source of calcium and protein. Yogurt is also a great choice for a sweet snack.
9. Almond and soy milk. Are you lactose intolerant or vegan? These dairy alternatives come in a variety of healthy flavors. Feel free to include them with your...
10. High-fiber cereal. It's great to start off your day with fiber so you don't immediately find yourself craving unhealthy snacks. There are plenty of high-fiber cereals to choose from.