20 Fun Ways to Burn an Extra 200 Calories A Day!
May 4, 2015
Calories are the fuel that keeps your most basic bodily functions running; your body is using energy constantly but excess (unused) calories can cause you to gain weight. Regular exercise not only helps you to lose weight by burning excess calories but also boosts metabolism and gives you energy.
Intentionally adding the activities on this list will step up your caloric burn -- especially if you are not in the habit of moving much—and the best part is -- THEY’RE FUN!
20 Fun Ways to Burn 200 Calories
Clean the house for 1 hour and burn 200 calories; crank up the music and you can probably boost that number by 15% by shaking a leg while you vacuum.
- One hour of guitar playing (standing) burns 200 calories and makes you a rock star.
- 30 minutes of Wii Just Dance or Wii Zumba shakes off about 200 calories
- Give your sweetie a 50 minute massage to soothe away 200 calories. Getting a massage also burns calories but you’ll need to get a three-hour massage to burn 200 calories.
Like flowers? Weed out 200 calories by working in the garden for 45 minutes.
- 40 minutes of lawn mowing trims 200. Sorry, riding mowers don’t count.
- Jump rope for only 20 minutes. You’ll feel the burn but you’ll be 200 calories down.
- You have to do it but, take heart; 25 Minutes of shoveling snow will meet your 200 cal quota.
- Tag, you’re it! Grab the kids and go play for 40 minutes. You’ll trim 200 and they’ll love you more.
- Can you keep a hula hoop up for 20 minutes? Believe it or not, that’s all it takes to burn 200 calories. You can easily do that while watching your favorite show.
- Do 45 minutes of belly dancing. You’ll feel sexy as you trim belly fat.
- Punish a punching bag for 30 minutes while thinking of something irritating.
- Play a full court basketball game for 25 minutes. This type of exercise qualifies as interval cardio and will boost your metabolism.
- 45 minutes of water aerobics is a great low-impact option.
- Walk at a moderately brisk pace of 4 MPH for 45 minutes or run at 6 MPH for 20 minutes to burn 200.
- Like horseback riding? A 45 minute ride will bounce off 200 calories.
- Hit the lanes and bowl for 45 minutes to knock down 200 calories.
- Kayak for 25 minutes and you'll also get a fantastic upper body workout.
- Do one hour of shopping. What could be more fun?!?!
- 25 minutes of leisurely swimming is nice way to wash away 200 calories on a sunny summer day
These figures are based off of estimations for a 150-pound woman. These are only rough estimations, as the exact number of calories that a person burns depends on their build, gender, muscle mass, physical fitness level, and many other variables.
It takes more calories to move more weight so if you weigh more than 150 pounds you will burn more calories with the above listed exercises. For more exact numbers, track your exercise with an online tracker.
Author: Brandi Redo
Brandi is a Certified Health Coach at Diet-to-Go, based in Lorton, VA. Balance is the number one mission in Brandi’s life. In her spare time she loves to bike, do Zumba and play tennis, but hates gym exercise. She is an amateur gardener and nature walker, who is on the constant look out for interesting insects and small animals. Brandi encourages people to “find the sweetness in life.”