Hey baby, how would you like to do it anywhere?
Yup, that's right, I said it... you and I can do it anywhere.
Well, now that I have your attention, perhaps I need to clarify a little. When I say we can do it anywhere, I am talking about EXERCISE.
There are some really great simple moves that require no equipment so they are perfect for performing in front of the TV during Survivor or in a hotel room after the nightmare meeting you barely survived.
I call them THE BIG 5 because these moves hit all the major muscle groups. In a pinch, a short workout featuring these five moves goes a long way toward keeping you on track.
NOTE: Click on the exercise name if you need help performing the move.
1) SQUATS! This exercise works the legs, works the core, and works the booty... enough said!
2) PUSH-UPS! I know these aren't fun ladies, but push-ups come in many forms. You can go from a full force push-up (the kind every military movie features during a basic training sequence) to modified (done with knees bent) to wall push-ups (performed against -- you guessed it -- a wall!).
Also, depending on hand placement, you can manipulate the emphasis of the exercise. Hands further out to the sides work the chest and back muscles. Hands closer together will key on the triceps and shoulder muscles. I like to do one set with hands out wide, then one set with hands at shoulder width, and then a final set with hands almost clasped together beneath me.
3) PLANK! An awesome core move that also comes with multiple variations. There's a straight plank, leg raised plank, arm raised plank, up and down plank... The list goes on and on.
4) JUMPING JACKS! Yep, the same moves you did in third grade will work for you now. Adding in a great cardio move like this during some strength training exercise helps rev up the metabolism and, frankly, cuts into any boredom you might be feeling.
Not everyone LOVES strength training so being able to switch it up some with cardio is a plus.
If you have a weak floor and your TV rattles or don't want to annoy the hotel guests staying in the room below yours, try this variation: Do side steps or step ups if you have stairs available, or throw punches like Mike Tyson. All three alternative moves are awesome and guaranteed to get the heart pumping more.
5) Full body move: the SQUAT THRUST! This is merely a squat that leads into a full out push-up position, and after you push up you stand up. Like Jumping Jacks, we've been doing squat thrusts since elementary school. It's a tremendous move that ties it all together!
Perform all five moves back-to-back with less than a minute rest between exercises, then go back and do the complete 5-move set all over again -- three times in total!
Keep the reps to about 12-15 each exercise each time. For the Plank, hold it as long as you can. Through your TV-viewing commercial break is always a good challenge.
This may not be the ideal routine for you but it will get you moving and get the heart pumping for a change of pace and a good challenge.
Remember, it's about consistency not perfection.
So keep moving, change it up and work with what you got.
Until next time... stay well!
Alicia is an American Council on Exercise Certified Personal Trainer and a Weight & Lifestyle Management consultant. The owner of Evolution Total Wellness in New York is also the author of "Oscar & Otis, Fat Fighters." For more information, visit www.linkedin.com/in/evolutiontotalwellness.